This week’s recipe of the week is Vegan Buttermilk Waffles. We make this recipe usually on Sunday for brunch. This recipe is from vegan blogger, Sweet Potato Soul. The recipe will be down below and also the link from Sweet Potato Soul! Happy cooking!
Vegan Buttermilk Waffles
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour (make them heartier by using whole spelt or whole wheat pastry flour)
- ⅓ cup raw cane sugar or coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 2 tbsp water
- 1½ cup soy milk + 1 tsp apple cider or white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp melted Earth Balance + more for coating waffle iron (okay, you can use less Earth Balance in the butter if you’re watching your fat intake. A good compromise is 2 tbsp butter+ ¼ cup apple sauce.)
- Maple syrup, for topping
- Whisk the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Whisk the flax egg (flax + water), soy milk, vinegar, vanilla, and earth balance in a separate bowl until combined.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Preheat a waffle iron and brush with melted Earth Balance butter. Ladle some batter into the iron (about ½ cup, depending on your waffle iron).
- Cook until golden brown, then transfer the waffle to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven, or stack them on a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- To serve top the waffles with maple syrup, toasted pecans, and sliced fruit.
Link to the recipe on Sweet Potato Soul here
*This post is not sponsored.
Lots of love,
Jasmine and Phrieda