As you may know, we are officially in the summer season. With that comes mosquitos and bugs lurking on our bodies which can give an annoying itch. There are a plethora of bug sprays on the market but are all of them good for your skin. Sprays often times can absorb into our bloodstream faster than oral supplements. It’s important to know the ingredients that are on your products because they can cause a bad reaction or develop into something more. The good news is that so many companies now have created plant-based mosquito spray alternatives because many are starting to become aware of the ingredients they put on their bodies. Below are tips for looking for plant-based bug sprays at your local stores.
Tips For Shopping For Plant Based Mosquito Sprays
- Make sure the sprays are DEET free: DEET is a chemical that is commonly found in conventional mosquito sprays. It works by manipulating odor receptors of mosquitos. A study done by Cornell in the 1980s proved that DEET caused negative effects such as rashes, nausea, headaches, dizziness, and difficulty concentrating (you can read more about it here ). Not only does it affect humans when using in high doses, it can also affect your dogs and cats if they ingest or smell it from your body.
- Look for products that have peppermint essential oil: Peppermint essential oil is one of many plant-based alternatives to mosquito spray. It’s a natural insect repellant and can relieve indigestion.
- Look for products that have lavender: Lavender is mostly known for its calming effects but makes for a great mosquito repeller and treatment for bug bites. This essential is the most versatile that can be utilized for cuts, sleep, joint pain, PMS, hair loss, and respiratory disorders.
- Look for products that have lemon eucalyptus: This is most commonly found in plant-based mosquito sprays and the most popular. The CDC has approved eucalyptus as an effective mosquito repellant.
Taking those tips into consideration we have found some great plant-based mosquitos sprays that you can buy either on Amazon or Target. We will share three of the best ones available below.
- Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent Spray: This is the most popular online. It has a 4.5 rating and at a great price point ($4.99)! You can find it here.
- Skedattle Natural Insect Repellent Made with Essential Oils – DEET Free, Natural Bug Spray: This has a four-star rating and is rated as Amazon’s Choice. It is a pricer than the first one but if you buy a 4 pack each one would cost $6.23! You can find it here.
- BugMace All Natural Mosquito & Insect Repellent Bug Spray: This has a four-star rating and is rated as Amazon’s Choice. This product organic and the most expensive out of the three ($7.95). You can find it here.
Lots of love,
Jasmine and Phrieda